So I was at the beach last week with my friends, well the half that stayed instead of going to Ios. It has been a tradition that the graduating class in our school goes to Greece and party and stuff but since I have only been here for two years and I am the type of person who does love to go out and party but mostly with people I am close to.
What we decided to do was do our own beach party and ended up having so much fun. I was planning it my friend while we were doing our morning jog at the park and started organizing the thing. We invited the people in our circle of friends who stayed in the country.
For days I was thinking what to bring since it is going to be somewhat like a party but also just hanging out with a bunch of people closest to you. The first thing on my head was the important beach stuff that we would need so here is my list of beach bag essentials:
- Sunblock: It is a must unless you want your skin to burn the wrong way and you will end up calling yourself BBQ a la whatever your name is. I normally use Nivea Sun Invisible Protection Transparent Spray another one for the face, Aveeno Active Naturals.
- Shades/Sunglasses: Protect your eyes at all costs. Do not glare at the sun because it does no good to for you. So if you are just sitting on a beach mat with your buddies and talking and stuff, keep your eyes from getting in-contact with the sun, if your skin needs protection from the sun then much more for your eyes because they are much more sensitive.
- Brush/Comb: Before and after you go to the beach, you might want to fix your hair a bit. I prefer my hair without tangles at the end of the day since I go into the water a lot.
- Water bottle: Re-hydrate yourself even if you are in an area where water is abundant. You would need it at some point in the day especially since it is hot out there.
- Snack: Not so important unless you start to crave something during the day, a biscuit or cookie would be fine.
- Hard candy: For me it is important that I always bring hard candy like Ricola because when it gets to hot I would start feeling nauseous and for me it is my remedy.
- Camera: Excellent for capturing the perfect moments.
- Tissue: Either for sneezing or wiping off things like spilled drinks or the like.
- Hand sanitizer: Use before having a bite to eat.
- Grooming kit: This is where the little stuff should go so that your beach bag does not end up becoming a mess.
- Face moisturizer
- Lip balm
- Body powder
- Ponytail and/or hair clips/pins
- First aid kit: You will never know something might happen that needs medical attention. Just a travel-sized kit would do. You can make your own improvised first aid kit by just placing in the essential stuff like band aids, bandages, cooling gel, etc…
- Magazine/book: If ever you decided to steer clear from the water while everyone else goes in, then you might as well entertain yourself with some reading. The book I was reading then was Insurgent by Veronica Roth.
- Beach towel
- Cellphone, Wallet, Ipod + earphones
- Flip flops
- Dress/loose top: To put over your bathing suit when you get out of the water and start to feel a bit chilly from the breeze.
For the party itself I also brought some finger sandwiches, 2 picnic mats, and frisbees so I had to bring 2 bags to carry all of them but they were not heavy so I did not mind. Others brought drinks, more snacks like crisps, biscuits and pistachios, and a rugby ball. For the most part of the afternoon we were in the water and for the rest we played Frisbee and touch rugby. Going to the beach itself was fun because after the bus ride, we still needed to walk through the town and the houses were so cute you would start thinking you were in some kind of fictional fairy tale town.
In the end it did not matter whether we were partying with everyone else for a week. We did hear afterwards about the people who got drunk and wasted and it was hilarious and I was relieved that I did not go because for the most part of the trip there I may not even remember what would happen to me and I would not even be conscious to even say in the end that I enjoyed the trip because there is nothing to remember. I am glad I spent the first part of my vacation by staying here since next month I will be going home to the Philippines with my sister and boyfriend and spend that half of my summer vacation with my mum.
I am excited to see my friends and relatives again and finally introduce my boyfriend, David, personally since they have only met/seen him on skype. Lined-up on my schedule are my outings, one with my girlfriends and the other with my guy friends. I will be spending 2 days out of the 2-week stay in the country with my Barkada and the rest with my mum. Hopefully, some shopping before I come back home.